Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Drivers License/Identification Cards

Veteran Indicator on Driver License or Identification Card

The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles will, upon submission of satisfactory proof, designate on a driver license or identification card the holder is a Veteran of the United States Armed Forces or the National Guard. This designation is available to any Delaware Veteran that served in the U.S. military and was honorably discharged. To obtain the Veteran indicator you must have a valid Delaware driver license or identification card and provide proof of military service, by presenting any of the following original documents:

  • Military ID
  • NGB-22
  • DD-214
  • DD-256
  • Honorable Discharge Certificate
  • Valid out-of-state driver license with veteran designation
Veteran Identification (ID) Card

If you are renewing, changing your address, or purchasing a duplicate driver license or identification card you may add the Veteran indicator at no additional charge. Applicable fees for the above services will apply, but you will not be charged an additional $10.00 to add the Veteran indicator. To add the Veteran indicator, separate from a driver license or identification card service, there is a $10.00 fee.

The Veteran indicator is designed to identify an individual as a Veteran in the State of Delaware so that businesses can opt to recognize the contributions of those Veterans who have faithfully served our country and represented our great state. It will also afford the Veteran protection as they will no longer have to carry a DD-214, which contains sensitive information, to prove their Veteran status, in order to obtain the benefits provided by local businesses and organizations.

The Veteran indicator on a driver license or identification card can be obtained at all DMV locations.

Hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Wednesday from 11:00 am to 7:00 p.m.

NOTE: This card is not a military ID card and does not entitle Veterans to all military benefits. Veterans would need to contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to determine the federal benefits to which they are entitled.