Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Drivers License/Identification Cards

Required Documentation

Acceptable Identification Document List

Any person applying for a driver's license (DL) or identification (ID) card is required to submit one primary document and one secondary document from the following list. A primary document must contain the full name and date of birth and must be verifiable, i.e., we must be able to contact the issuing agency to determine the authenticity of the document. Each applicant must provide their social security number, if eligible, two proofs of the applicant’s Delaware residency and non-U.S. citizens must provide proof of legal presence in the United States.


False statement, attempted fraud by displaying invalid licenses, ID Cards, or documents, or misrepresentation is perjury and may result in fines and denial of licenses and services. A driver's license may be suspended any time false information is found on the signed application form.

Proof of Identity / Legal Presence:

Examples of acceptable source documentation:
Please provide ONE of the following proof of identity/legal presence documents:
(This document must contain proof of full legal name, date of birth, and citizenship/legal presence in the United States to be eligible to obtain a federally compliant identification document.)
  • Certificate of birth (U.S. issued). Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Office of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health. Please note that wallet cards, birth registration or hospital announcements/records are not accepted. (If under 18, birth certificate must include birth parent(s) names) ***
  • Consular report of birth abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N570m or N-578)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)
  • Northern Marina Card (I-551)
  • American Indian Card (I-551)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
  • Valid passport, U.S. If foreign, appropriate INS document also is required
  • Resident Alien Card (I-515, I-551, AR-3, or AR-103)
  • Temporary Resident Identification Card (K-688)
  • Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card (I-185 or I-586)
  • Record of Arrival and Departure (in a valid Foreign Passport)(I-94 or I-94W visa waiver program)
  • Record of Arrival and Departure w/attached photo stamped "Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident"(I-94)
  • Processed for I-551 stamp (in a valid Foreign Passport)
  • Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B, I-766)
  • Canadian Immigration Record and Visa or Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Federally Compliant State issued photo driver license *
  • Federally Compliant State/Province/Territory issued photo ID card *
  • Court order. Must contain full name, date of birth and court seal. Examples include: adoption document, name change document, gender document, etc. Does not include abstract of criminal or civil conviction * **
  • State issued photo driver license * **
  • State/Province/Territory issued photo ID card * **
  • Certified microfilm/copy of driver license or ID card * **
  • Official letter issued by vital statistics verifying full name and date of birth * **
  • Certified school records or transcripts verifying full name and date of birth * **
  • Note: If applicant is under 18, a document containing parent(s) or legal guardian(s) name(s) must be presented (such as a birth certificate or court document).
* Must be accompanied by a U.S. citizenship document or valid proof of legal presence in the United States.
** Not acceptable documentation to be eligible for a federally compliant identification document; however, applicants may be eligible for a non-compliant identification document.
*** Foreign Born adoptees must have accompanying citizenship documents issued by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please visit US Citizenship for an Adopted Child for more information .

Find out how to contact Vital Statistics for all U.S. States and Territories

Proof of a Social Security Number:

Proof of Delaware residency:

Proof of a Immigration Statuses:

Proof of Name Change: