Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Drivers License/Identification Cards

CDL Endorsements

Hazardous Material (H)

Regulations require vehicles transporting certain types or quantities of hazardous materials to display diamond-shaped, square on point warning signs called placards. To be eligible for a hazardous material endorsement the applicant must be at least 21 with a valid CDL or CDL Permit and pass a knowledge test. The U.S. Patriot Act requires all applicants to submit fingerprints and complete a security threat assessment performed by The Transportation Security Administration (TSA). For information on fingerprinting and completing the TSA security requirement.

Hazardous Materials Requirements

Tank Vehicle (N)

A tank endorsement is required for certain vehicles that transport liquids or gases. The liquid or gas does not have to be a hazardous material. A tank endorsement is required if your vehicle needs a Class A or B CDL and you want to haul a liquid or liquid gas in a permanently mounted cargo tank rated at greater than 119 gallons (450 liters) or a portable tank rated at greater than 1,000 gallons.

A tank endorsement is also required for a Class C vehicle when the vehicle is used to transport hazardous materials in liquid or gas form in the above described rated tanks. To obtain a tank endorsement the applicant must pass a knowledge test.

Passenger (P)

Bus drivers must have a commercial driver license if he/she will drive a vehicle designed to seat more than 16 passengers including the driver. Bus drivers must have a passenger endorsement on their commercial license. To get the endorsement the applicant must pass a knowledge test and a skills test. If the vehicle has air brakes the applicant must pass the air brake knowledge test.

Note: The applicant must also pass the skills test for the class of vehicle he/she wishes to drive.

Doubles and Triples (T)

A doubles and triples endorsement is required when transporting more than one trailer at a time. To obtain a doubles and triples endorsement the applicant must pass a knowledge test.

Tank and Hazmat (X)

This endorsement is required when a driver transports both hazardous materials and/or liquids in a tank vehicle. To obtain this endorsement the applicant must have a valid CDL or CDL Permit, be at least 21 years of age, pass knowledge tests for tank and hazmat and complete the TSA Security Threat Assessment with fingerprinting. Details regarding TSA requirements are located above under Hazardous Materials endorsement requirements.

School Bus (S)

School Bus "S" Endorsement Requirements

The School Bus endorsement is required to operate a school bus for public or private transport in the State of Delaware. In order to obtain a school bus endorsement an applicant must be at least 18 years of age, be physically qualified to operate a school bus, have a valid CDL or CDL permit with a passenger endorsement, show completion of formal training with the Delaware Department of Education and pass the skills/road test in a school bus.

Additionally, in accordance with Del. C. §2708 (f) the State requires all applicants to undergo a criminal background review to exclude any disqualifying criminal convictions prior to the clearance for a school bus endorsement. The applicant must not have more than 5 points on his/her 3-year driving record and must not have been suspended, revoked, or disqualified for moving violations in the 5 years prior to application.

The Department of Education and the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) work together to ensure each applicant is educated and eligible to operate a school bus safely. The DOE's role is to ensure, and applicant is eligible and properly trained. The DMV's role is to ensure that the applicant possesses the legal authority to safely operate the class of vehicle the driver is applying for, in accordance with state and federal law.

Application Process

As of December 14, 2020, all school bus "S" applicants must initiate the application process by completing a DMV Criminal History Record Check Form online. The “S” applicant will visit the website to complete the online Criminal History Record Check Authorization form (CHRCA).

  1. A copy of the completed form will be sent to the email address provided by the applicant on the online form.
  2. The applicant will take the completed and signed CHRCA to SBI to continue the application process.

In the event an applicant does not have access to the internet and must apply in-person, please visit one of the four DMV facilities.

  1. A copy of the completed form will be processed and returned to the applicant at the lane.
  2. The completed and signed CHRCA form will then go to SBI for further processing.

NOTE: Effective September 11. 2023, you will need to schedule an appointment online prior to proceeding to SBI. Please use the below link to schedule your ten-minute appointment.

When prompted enter SERVICE CODE 27RX7X.

Please visit the Department of Education, School Transportation web page for information pertaining to the application process:

  • School Bus Applicant Checklists
  • Training Requirement and Class Schedules
  • Physical Requirements and Drug Screening
  • Criminal History Affidavits
  • Child Protection Registry

Out of State Transfers

A recently enacted regulation update (2 Admin Cd §2222) changed the requirements for out-of-state School Bus “S” endorsement transfers. Customers who are transferring into the State of Delaware that currently have Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements on their valid out-of-state license, upon successfully meeting Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) requirements and completing the required steps, will now be able to transfer their "S" endorsement into Delaware without having to take knowledge and skills exams.

Applicants must first contact the Department of Education to initiate the out-of-state "S" transfer process.

The requirements, along with a complete list of instructions, for Out-of-State "S" transfer applicants can be found here.

Disqualifying Factors

An applicant who comes to the DMV to obtain an "S" endorsement and is found to have one or more of the below factors will not be issued the "S" endorsement and, therefore, will not be authorized to operate a school bus in the State of Delaware.

  1. Applicant has more than five points on his/her three-year driving history at the time of endorsement issuance. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(5))
  2. Applicant is currently or has had a driver license suspended, revoked or disqualified for moving violations in this state or any other state in the previous five years. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(6))
  3. Applicant cannot pass the DMV vision screening for CDL drivers and does not possess a federally issued medical waiver. (49 CFR 391.41(b)(10))
  4. Applicant has ever been convicted of a drug-related offense at any point in his/her adult life. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(a))
  5. Applicant has ever been convicted of a crime involving a child during his/her adult life. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(b))
  6. Applicant has ever been convicted of a Class A/B felony during his/her adult life. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(6))
  7. Applicant has ever been convicted of a felony homicide, including but not limited to, murder, manslaughter and vehicular homicide as an adult. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(d))
  8. Applicant has ever been convicted of a felony sexual offense during his/her adult life. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(e))
  9. Applicant has ever been convicted of a felony offense against public administration involving bribery, improper influence or abuse of office as an adult. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(f))
  10. Applicant has ever been convicted of any crime other than those listed above constituting a felony during his/her adult life for which the person has not been pardoned or for which less than five years has passed since the person fully discharged all imposed sentences. The term sentences, includes but is not limited to, all periods of sentence modification, probation, parole or suspension and all forms of fines, restitution or community service. (21 Del. C. §2708(b)(7)(g))

Please do not hesitate to contact our office directly at (302) 744-2572 with any questions or concerns you may have.