Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Vehicle Services Special Vehicles

Mopeds and Tripeds

The following provides information you need to know to ensure your operation of a moped or triped is legal, safe and enjoyable.

  • Mopeds and tripeds are required to be titled and registered before they can be operated on Delaware highways. Refer to the General Titling Requirements for titling information.
  • The fee for registration is for three years.
  • Mopeds shall be exempt from Delaware's safety inspection. Division of Motor Vehicles personnel will verify the vehicle identification number on those vehicles titled in another jurisdiction which are being titled in Delaware for the first time. If the moped cannot be safely transported to a DMV facility, DMV technicians can perform an offsite verification for a fee of .
  • No motor vehicle insurance is required for the operation of a moped or triped.
  • You cannot operate a moped or triped on any public road unless you have a valid driver’s license.
  • Mopeds and tripeds shall not be operated on interstate or limited-access highways, nor shall they be operated on the right-of-way of an operating railroad, nor shall they be operated on any path set aside for use of bicycles unless the motor has been turned off.
  • Mopeds and tripeds must have a light on the front and rear, a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least 100 feet.
  • It is recommended that every person operating or riding a moped or triped wear a safety helmet and bright reflective clothing.
  • Watch for traffic as far ahead as possible, be prepared for sudden stops, for traffic approaching left or right at intersections and for vehicles pulling out from parking areas.
  • Laws applying to bicycles also apply to a moped or triped when operated on any public road or path set aside for the use of bicycles. Refer to the Delaware Driver’s Manual.
  • If the moped or triped owner is not a Delaware resident, Delaware will honor the laws of his or her home state regarding the registration of such vehicle. However, the operator of a moped or triped must hold a valid driver license from his or her state of residence.