Vehicle Services Titling
Import Vehicle Procedure
An imported vehicle is any vehicle that is brought into the United States of America (U.S.) from any foreign country (including Canada). These vehicles “may” or “may not” meet the requirements in the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (and the policies and regulations adopted as a result of this Act) along with EPA Emission Standards. This procedure also includes U.S.-manufactured vehicles that are produced for export and subsequently imported. The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles NOTE: You are required to follow both State and Federal regulations when purchasing an import vehicle.
Motor vehicles manufactured not more than 25 model years ago are subject to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and emissions requirements in order to be imported permanently and cannot be titled and registered in the State of Delaware without proof of conformity. Vehicles manufactured to meet the FMVSS will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door. When purchasing a vehicle certified by a foreign country as meeting U.S. standards, the buyer should have the sales contract verify that a certification label has been attached to the vehicle and present this document at the time of importation. All imported vehicles under 25 years old must provide proof of compliance with, or exemption from FMVSS before being eligible for Delaware titling and registration. If the vehicle is exempt from FMVSS, you will need the correct documents to be submitted. The DMV will issue title and registration for an imported vehicle when the below documents have been provided and the proof that the vehicle complies with FMVSS and emissions requirements.
Note: Guam, America Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are all governed as U.S territories and vehicles shipped from these U.S. territories do not need to follow the import procedures but still must pass both state and federal standards.
- Authentic source of ownership document (e.g. existing title, prior registration, manufacturer’s certification of origin, manufacturers statement of origin, foreign registration)
- All foreign language documents must have an English translation attached.
- Proof of Identification: License, Identification Card or Passport
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) forms must have the following: Customs Stamp, electronic signature, or ACE documents.
- CBP form 7501
- CBP form 3461
- A properly completed U.S. Department of Transportation (NHTSA) Form HS-7 “Declaration (Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards).”
- A copy of the properly completed form EPA 3520-1 submitted to U.S. Customs at the Port of Entry.
- Proof of Delaware insurance of the vehicle
- Bill of Sale, if applicable
- Delaware Application for Title (MV212), obtained during the DMV inspection.
- Delaware import vehicles must meet the standards of 2 Admin Code. §2278.
*Note: Imported vehicles are subject to review by Division management or supervisor to ensure all documents are correct.
Delaware Title 21
Delaware DMV Regulations
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC)