Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Vehicle Services FAQ's

Boat Registration & Titles FAQs

Q. What boats require registration and how do I apply?

A: All motorized boats/vessels operated by Delaware residents on Delaware waterways must be registered. Non-resident boats/vessels using the waters of Delaware for principal use over 60 days and non-residents owning a boat docked and/or stowed in waters of Delaware for over 60 days must be registered in Delaware. The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) or one of DNREC's authorized agents handle boat registrations in Delaware.

Q. Who is responsible for titling and registering my boat trailer?

A: The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles the titling/registering of all trailers. Delaware law requires the titling/registering of all trailers operating in Delaware. DMV will allow the titling/registering of trailers for individuals who are not bonafide residents of Delaware if the owner provides documented proof of ownership of a residence in Delaware and signs an affidavit indicating the trailer will remain in Delaware at all times. The Forms Section of this site contains a Non-Resident Affidavit (MV725). The Vehicle Title and Registration Section of this site provides information on titling/registering requirements in Delaware.