Basic Bike Bonding Rider Course
The Basic Bike Bonding RiderCourse is a partial day course designed to provide a low risk, effective, and enjoyable training event for riders with a motorcycle endorsement that are just starting their riding endeavors. For this course, participants should have successfully completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse (BRC) or have sufficient riding skills to operate a motorcycle with basic proficiency. Students must have a motorcycle endorsement to participate in this course.
The overall aim of the Basic Bike Bonding RiderCourse is to help riders develop smooth and precise control as riders manipulate primary motorcycle controls and develop their riding procedures and techniques. Good bike bonding helps a rider automate physical skills so they can devote more attention to road and traffic conditions (searching and evaluating). It helps a rider to be a better decision-maker. A primary value of having good bike-bonding is how it transfers to actual on-street riding in the form of smooth and precise control inputs while providing more time to search and evaluate (use Search, Evaluate and Execute).
This is a 5 to 6-hour course consisting of 5 hours riding and breaks (snacks and beverages suggested). Through progressively challenging exercises, you will develop smooth, precise control while learning more about the limits of your abilities and the capability of your motorcycle.
Statewide, approximately 98% of students successfully complete this course their first time. Please understand this course has a group-learning format that limits the ability of instructors to provide individual instruction to students. This course is also mentally and physically demanding. Weather conditions can increase the stress on students.
Successful completion of the course allows a Delaware motorcyclist to reduce their liability insurance by as much as 10%, or if you have completed the novice course within the last three years, you receive an additional 5%.
To successfully complete the course, students must:
- Complete all riding exercises.
Course Registration Information
The registration fee for Delaware residents is $35.00. Out-of-state residents pay $100.00.
You are considered a Delaware resident if you:
- Live in Delaware and hold a current, valid Delaware driver’s license
- Are military personnel or a dependent of one stationed in Delaware and have a valid driver’s license from another state, or
- Have a valid driver’s license from another state and are currently enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 semester credits) in an accredited Delaware university, college, or community college.
Listed below are all the locations where this course is offered. The number in parentheses represents how many advanced courses are currently scheduled at that location. If you wish to attend an advanced course at a location where none are scheduled, please check back at another time.
Receiving Course Information
You can receive course information the following ways:
E-mail your name and address, city, state, zip to firstname.lastname@example.org and a brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you. Call 302-832-5163 (New Castle County), 302-744-2658 (Kent County) or 302-853-1030 (Sussex County). Leave the requested information on the voice mail recorder, speaking clearly and slowly. A brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you.
Note: Completely fill out bike bonding registration form registration form indicating your first, second and third choices for the class, and return it with a check or money order made payable to the Division of Motor Vehicles. Send your request to the address on the registration form, not to a DMV office. Cash or new account checks are not acceptable. No class spaces will be reserved without receipt of payment. Once registered for a class, a student who requests a change of class will incur an additional $15.00 transfer fee. There is a fee for all returned checks. Unless otherwise notified, registrants will receive course confirmation by mail upon receipt of payment. If a student does not receive a confirmation letter within 10 working days of registering, call the Registration Office and leave your name, phone number, best time to call you, and a message to that effect.
Each course is limited to 12 students. If fewer than 6 persons have enrolled for a class, the class will be cancelled and you will have a choice of rescheduling to another class or requesting a refund. Registration fees are non-refundable for any reason except course cancellation or if the student provides at least 72 hours notification of canceling. All student requested refunds will be subject to a $15.00 processing fee. No requests for refund will be processed after December 31 of that training year. Requests must be sent in writing to the Coordinator along with your driver license number, Social Security Number, check number and amount, name, address, phone number and class number, to Coordinator, DMCP, P.O. Box 698, Dover, DE 19903.
Proper Riding Gear
A motorcycle rider is physically vulnerable. In an accident, a rider and passenger on a motorcycle are more likely to be injured than an automobile driver and passenger. Wearing protective gear, however, can reduce motorcycle injuries.
All students at a minimum must wear the following personal protective items for all on-cycle instruction:
- DOT-compliant helmet 3/4 or Full-Face (Loaner helmets available)
- Eye protection (Glasses or goggles, if not wearing a helmet with a face shield)
- Low-heel, over-the-ankle footwear (Leather preferred, cloth or canvas shoes are not permitted)
- Long, non-flare pants made of denim or of equivalent or more durable material (No sweats or exposed skin)
- Long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- Full-fingered gloves, made of sturdy material (Preferably leather)
It is suggested that students dress according to the weather (rain apparel, sunglass, etc.) Classes are held rain or shine. Riders who do not arrive on time will not be permitted to participate in the course and their registration fee will be forfeited.
- Get a professional introduction to advanced riding techniques while learning more about the limits of your abilities and the capability of your motorcycle!
- Save up to 15% on your motorcycle liability insurance! Course graduates receive an MSF and State of Delaware Student Completion Card, entitling you to up to 15% liability insurance discount. This discount begins on the inception date or the first renewal date of your motorcycle policy and terminates at the policy's expiration date subsequent to three years after completion of the course. You must send a copy of this card to your insurance company in order to receive the discount.
- Your original student completion card cannot be replaced so keep it in a secure place. NOTE: The State of Delaware cannot guarantee that other states will accept our course as certification for a motorcycle endorsement, nor can we guarantee the liability insurance discount in other states.
Note: The State of Delaware cannot guarantee that other states will accept our course as certification for a motorcycle endorsement, nor can we guarantee the 10% liability insurance discount in other states.
This program is administered through the Delaware Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles. Delaware motorcyclists fund this program through licensing, license renewals, and motorcycle registration fees.