Advanced Rider Course - Sport Bike Techniques
The Advanced Rider Course Sportbike Techniques is a course designed for experienced motorcycle riders. For the purpose of this course, an experienced rider is one who has basic skills and is a current rider with a motorcycle endorsement. Special emphasis is given to self-assessment, risk management, rider behavior, riding strategies and overall skill development, particularly in braking, cornering and swerving.
This is an 8-hour course consisting of 3 hours in the classroom, 4 hours riding, lunch, and breaks (bag lunch and snacks suggested). Students must have a motorcycle endorsement and provide their own motorcycle. Students are required to provide documentation to show the motorcycle is properly insured and legally registered in their name. Required documentation will be checked prior to the start of class, students not providing all required documentation will not be allowed to attend the course. The motorcycle will also be required to pass an instructor's pre-ride check.
Statewide, approximately 98% of students successfully complete this course their first time. Please understand this course has a group-learning format that limits the ability of instructors to provide individual instruction to students. This course is also mentally and physically demanding. Weather conditions can increase the stress on students.
|Classroom Instruction Covers||Riding Instruction Covers||To Successfully Complete the Course, Students Must|
|Rider and motorcycle preparation||A review of basic skills||Attend classroom and riding sessions|
|Advanced street riding strategies||Advanced braking, cornering, and swerving||Pass a multiple choice knowledge test|
|Advanced braking, cornering, and swerving techniques|
|Dangers of impaired riding|
Successful completion of the course allows a Delaware motorcyclist to reduce their liability insurance by as much as 10%, or if you have completed the novice course within the last three years, you receive an additional 5%.
The course is specifically designed for single-track, two-wheeled motorcycles. A pre-ride inspection will include checking the tires, controls, lights, oil levels, chassis, and stands (side and center if installed) of your motorcycle. Motorcycles with defects or modifications that could impair handling or control will not be permitted to complete the riding portion of the class. The instructor's decision is final.
After the riding portion of the class begins, if a student's motorcycle is continually a problem and holds up the flow of the exercises for the entire class, the student will be asked to discontinue the riding portion of the class and the registration fee will be forfeited.
To successfully complete the course, students must:
- Attend all classrooms and riding sessions
- Pass a multiple-choice knowledge test
Course Registration Information
The registration fee for Delaware residents is $35.00. Out-of-state residents pay $100.00. You are considered a Delaware resident if you:
- Live in Delaware and hold a current, valid Delaware driver's license
- Are military personnel or a dependent of one stationed in Delaware and have a valid driver's license from another state, or
- Have a valid driver's license from another state and are currently enrolled as a full-time student (minimum of 12 semester credits) in an accredited Delaware university, college, or community college
Listed below are all of the locations where courses are offered. The number in parentheses represents how many advanced courses are currently scheduled at that location. If you wish to attend an advanced course at a location where none are scheduled, please check back at another time.
Receiving Course Information
You can receive course information the following ways:
- E-mail your name and address, city, state, zip to firstname.lastname@example.org and a brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you
- Call 302.832.5163 (New Castle County), 302.744.2658 (Kent County) or 302.853.1030 (Sussex County). Leave the requested information on the voice mail recorder, speaking clearly and slowly. A brochure and course registration form will be mailed to you.
Note: Completely fill out the advanced registration form indicating your first and second choices for the class, and return it with a check or money order made payable to the Division of Motor Vehicles. Send your request to the address on the registration form, not to a DMV office. Cash or new account checks are not acceptable. No class spaces will be reserved without receipt of payment. Once registered for a class, a student who requests a change of class will incur an additional $15.00 fee. There is a $25.00 fee for all returned checks.
Unless otherwise notified, registrants will receive course confirmation by mail upon receipt of payment. If a student does not receive a confirmation letter within 10 working days of registering, call the Registration Office and leave your name, phone number, best time to call you, and a message to that effect.
Each course is limited to 12 students. If fewer than 6 persons have enrolled for a class, the class will be cancelled and you will have a choice of rescheduling to another class or requesting a refund. Registration fees are non-refundable for any reason except course cancellation or if the student provides at least 72 hours notification of canceling. All student requested refunds will be subject to a $15.00 processing fee. No requests for refund will be processed after December 31 of that training year. Requests must be sent in writing to the Coordinator along with your driver license number, Social Security Number, check number and amount, name, address, phone number and class number, to Coordinator, DMCP, P.O. Box 698, Dover, DE 19903.
Proper Riding Gear
A motorcycle rider is physically vulnerable. In an accident, a rider and passenger on a motorcycle are more likely to be injured than an automobile driver and passenger. Wearing protective gear, however, can reduce motorcycle injuries.
All students must wear the following items of apparel to ride a motorcycle in the class:
- Low-heel, sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear. Boots are recommended; cloth or canvas shoes are not permitted
- Jeans or sturdy long pants. No sweats
- Long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- DOT- approved 3/4 or full-face helmet. (Loan helmets available)
- Eye protection (glasses or goggles)
- Full-fingered gloves
It is suggested that students dress according to the weather (rain apparel, sunglass, etc.) Classes are held rain or shine. Riders who do not arrive on time will not be permitted to participate in the course and their registration fee will be forfeited.
- Get a professional introduction to advanced riding techniques with the advanced rider course!
- Save up to 15% on your motorcycle liability insurance! Course graduates receive an MSF and State of Delaware Student Completion Card, entitling you to up to 15% liability insurance discount. This discount begins on the inception date or the first renewal date of your motorcycle policy and terminates at the policy's expiration date subsequent to three years after completion of the course. You must send a copy of this card to your insurance company in order to receive the discount.
- Your original student completion card cannot be replaced so keep it in a secure place. NOTE: The State of Delaware cannot guarantee that other states will accept our course as certification for a motorcycle endorsement, nor can we guarantee the liability insurance discount in other states.
This program is administered through the Delaware Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles. Delaware motorcyclists fund this program through licensing, license renewals, and motorcycle registration fees.