Any person who operates a motorcycle, motorbike or other 2-wheeled, motor-driven vehicle on the highway shall have a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
The fee for motorcycle endorsements are . The Division publishes a Delaware Motorcycle Operator Manual which covers the requirements for the Motorcycle endorsement, procedures to acquire the endorsement, testing requirements, and the basic knowledge needed to obtain this endorsement.
Persons over the age of 18 must pass a written examination and road skills test to obtain a motorcycle endorsement. The written and road test examinations are waived for those who complete the approved motorcycle rider education program.
Persons under the age of 18 must have completed Driver Education, have a Class D license, and have written permission from parents or the duly appointed legal guardian prior to taking the required state approved novice motorcycle course. The Graduated Driver License (GDL) is a permit, not a license until it is upgraded to a Class D license when the driver completes 12 months of supervised driving experience.
Motorcycle Rider Courses
You can register for Motorcycle Training Courses:
- Download, print, fill out, and mail the registration form to the following address:
- Registration Office
P.O. Box 698
Dover, DE 19903
Please include a check or money order made payable to the Division of Motor Vehicles. Cash or counter checks are not accepted.
Note: No class spaces will be reserved without receipt of payment. Once registered for a class, a student who requests a change of class will incur an additional $15.00 fee. There is a fee for all returned checks.
- Registration Office
Motorcycle Training information, including a registration form, can also be obtained:
- By Email. Send your name and address, city, state, zip to firstname.lastname@example.org. A brochure and course registration form will be mailed to the address provided.
- By Telephone. Call 302.832.5163 in New Castle County, 302.744.2658 in Kent County or 302.853.1030 in Sussex County and listen to the recorded message. Leave the requested information in your recorded voice mail. A brochure and course registration form will be mailed to the address provided.
- In Person. A course brochure can be picked up at any Motor Vehicle branch location and most motorcycle dealers throughout the state.
Motorcycle permits are valid for 6 months.
You can extend the permit only once for an additional 6 months.
You must apply for an extension at DMV before the expiration date and pay a fee. The following restrictions apply when operating a motorcycle with a temporary motorcycle learner's permit.
- No passengers shall be allowed on the motorcycle.
- Operating a motorcycle between sunset and sunrise is prohibited.
- Approved safety helmet and eye protection must be worn.
- Operation is not permitted on the federal interstate highway system.
- You can take the motorcycle road test anytime after 10 days but within 6 months.