Q. Are there any exceptions to the reporting requirements?
A: Yes, reporting the odometer mileage reading is encouraged, but not mandatory if:
- The vehicle is 10 years old or older,
- The vehicle is a commercial vehicle with a gross vehicle weight above 16,000 pounds,
- The vehicle is a non-motorized vehicle.
Q. When do I report odometer mileage readings?
A: Odometer mileage readings are mandatory when:
- A motor vehicle is initially registered or when the ownership is transferred, or
- A new title is required for any reason, or
- You renew your vehicle’s registration.
Q. How do I report the odometer mileage?
A: Enter the mileage on the Certificate of Title in the section designated for the disclosure of odometer reading (see example below):
I certify to the best of my knowledge that the ODOMETER READING is the ACTUAL MILEAGE of the vehicle unless one of the following statements is checked:
|ODOMETER READING ----- MILES (NO TENTHS)
||[ ] 1.The mileage stated is in excess of its mechanical limits.|
(Mileage exceeds 99,999 miles)