Name Change

Within 30 days after legally changing your name, you must appear in person at one of the four DMV facilities to change the name on your driver license or identification card. You must provide your current license or ID card, an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, civil union certificate, divorce decree, or legal name change document, and provide proof from the Social Security Administration showing evidence of the name change. Any marriage or civil union document must be issued by a government entity with a raised seal. Marriage/Civil Union certificates signed by clergy are NOT accepted. The Division will take your photo, collect your new signature, and issue you a new license or ID for .

Please note, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration 48 - 72 hours prior to coming to the DMV.

Address Change

After changing your Delaware address, you have thirty (30) days to notify both the Vehicle Registration and Driver's License Sections of the Division of Motor Vehicles. Write to the Division of Motor Vehicles, Driver License Section, P.O. Box 698, Dover, Delaware 19903. Give us the number of your driver's license, your name as it appears on the license and your new address. We will change our records. To change your license document, you must come into any of our facilities and we will replace your license at no cost. (See the Vehicle Equipment, Titles, Registration and Insurance Section for changing the address on your vehicle registration.)